Liposuction or simply lipo, is a type of cosmetic surgery that removes fat from the human body in an attempt to change its shape.
Evidence does not support an effect on weight beyond a couple of months and it does not appear to affect obesity related problems.
The surgical principle of lipoaspiration is the removal of unaesthetic deposits of localized fat. The resulting scar is very discrete (3-4 mm) and placed in an anatomical region where it can be easily masked, it does not pose aesthetic problems.
Through a small incision, at some distance from the treated area, we insert a liposuction drill, connected by a tube to a suction system which removes the lipid deposits without touching the skin.
Lipoaspiration may be used in several areas; the most frequently requested are:
– the abdomen and waist – lipoaspiration creates a flatter abdomen, a well defined waist, eliminates “love handles” (flanks lipoaspiration), giving the hourglass shape patients desire
– thighs – almost any area can be treated at this level, starting just above the knee, the area under the feet (“banana roll”), the outer side of the thighs, the inner side of the thighs (to create the superior hollow look)
– hips – lipoaspiration can treat unaesthetic deposits at this level, which yield so hard or not at all to diets and sports
– bottocks – liposuction can only be done in certain areas at this level, and the extracted fat can be used to augment other areas and create a more round shape desired by most patients
– arms – lipoaspiration at this level can be used to create an invigorating appearance of the arms, in carefully selected cases
– breast region – in cases of gynecomastia (when the fat predominates) or associated with female breast reduction
– posterior chest – when fat deposits are prominent outside the bra band, liposuction of these “back rolls” can be performed
– cervicofacial – whether or not combined with a facial or cervicofacial lift; it eliminates the “double chin” appearance
– areas such as calfs, ankles, knees can also benefit from liposuction when diet and sport do not deliver the expected results.
After this procedure, you will need to wear a compressive bandage for 2 weeks day and night and then only during the night for another 2 weeks.
Immediately after surgery – small incisions will be bandaged; there are various garments, depending on the treated area; drugs and painkillers will be administered.
– The first week – patients can return to work and light activities; bruises and swellings start to slowly remit.
– 2 weeks – gentle massage and light physical activities are allowed; trauma is to be avoided, as well as intense physical activities or heavy lifting.
– 4-6 weeks – results begin to show; patients can return to normal activities.
– 6 months – all edema disappears; the final result becomes obvious, the skin continues to “tighten” till up to 1 year.